OIE-Approved Summer Study Abroad Programs
The Mignone Center for Career Success (MCS) administers funding that can be used to support OIE-Approved Summer Study Abroad Programs. Visit the Office of International Education’s (OIE) website to learn more about eligible study abroad programs and to apply for transfer credit and funding.
Please note that MCS will comply with Harvard’s COVID travel policy. It is the responsibility of students to ensure their ability to complete the programs for which they are applying for funding.
We encourage you to apply for all funding sources for which you are eligible. If you receive funding from another source, you must notify us immediately.
Please note that Harvard College students can only accept one funded summer experience each summer. For the latest information, see Harvard College’s Summer Funding Policy.
MCS awards are not transferrable. If your study abroad program or location changes, you need to seek our approval to be funded for your opportunity. Similarly, funding for one type of opportunity (such as study abroad) cannot be moved to another type of opportunity (such as an internship with a third-party internship provider). If there are any changes to your study abroad program (i.e. type, format, location, duration, etc.) and you do not inform us, your award may be rescinded.
- Important Dates
- Who Can Apply for Funding?
- How to Apply
- How Much is Awarded?
- How are Funding Decisions Made?
NOTE: Students must apply directly to a study abroad program and request course approval and funding from OIE by their respective deadlines.
- February 9, 2023 – Deadline to apply to OIE for course approval and funding
- March 3, 2023 – Funding notifications go out on a rolling basis
- March 8, 2023 – Deadline to accept or decline funding award
- April 28, 2023 – Deadline to submit pre-departure requirements to receive funding
MCS can only fund students who:
- Are attending an eligible OIE-Approved Summer Study Abroad Program (see OIE’s Summer Funding Eligible list)
- Have not previously received money for study abroad (Harvard or non-Harvard)
- Are approved for transfer credit through the Office of International Education
- Are in good academic standing at time of application and departure
- Are current Harvard College undergraduates, 1st-year through 1st semester senior
- Are enrolled full-time during Spring 2023
- Are planning to enroll in Fall 2023
**Preference will be given to students who have NOT received prior funding and for whom this is their last summer of college**
- Visit the Office of International Education’s website for application details.
- $1500 if student does not receive financial aid
- Cost of program (up to $13,000) and travel stipend for students receiving financial aid, as determined by OIE
- It is the student’s responsibility to cover or supplement any extra costs that are not included in the program fee (i.e. visas, personal expenses, etc.)
- Due to high demand, MCS is only able to fund about 50% of eligible funding applications – funding decisions are made by a committee at the Office of International Education and are not based on financial need
- Not all students on financial aid are funded, and program admission does not guarantee funding