OCS-Funded Independent Internships Outside the U.S.
OCS supports students for two types of internships, either virtual or in-person. Students may submit only one funding application for EITHER:
- An independent, self-arranged internship or research assistantship where the student makes arrangements directly with a supervisor at an organization based outside the U.S. OR
- An internship arranged by a third-party internship provider at an organization based outside the U.S. where the student pays a program fee to participate.
NOTE: You may apply if your internship is not confirmed. However, prior to distributing funding to students, OCS will require you to have your internship confirmed by providing a support letter from the host organization listing your project start and end dates and location of host organization (city, country).
Please note that OCS will comply with Harvard’s COVID travel policy. It is the responsibility of students to ensure their ability to complete the programs for which they are applying for funding.
We encourage you to apply for all funding sources for which you are eligible. If you receive funding from another source, you must notify us immediately.
Please note that Harvard College students can only accept one funded summer experience each summer. For the latest information, see Harvard College’s Summer Funding Policy.
OCS awards are not transferrable. If your internship organization or location changes, you need to seek OCS’ approval to be funded for your opportunity. Similarly, funding for one type of opportunity (such as an independent internship) cannot be moved to another type of opportunity (such as an internship with a third-party internship provider or study abroad). If there are any changes to your internship (I.e. type, format, location, duration, etc) and you do not inform us, your award may be rescinded.
- Important Dates
- Who Can Apply for Funding?
- How to Apply
- How Much is Awarded, and What is not Included?
- March 9, 2023 – Deadline to apply for OCS funding
- April 2, 2023 – Funding notifications go out on rolling basis
- April 5, 2023 – Deadline to accept/decline funding award
- April 28, 2023 – Deadline to submit pre-departure requirements to receive funding
OCS can only fund students who:
- Are in good academic standing at time of application and at the end of the spring semester
- Are current Harvard College undergraduates, 1st-year through 1st semester senior during Spring 2023
- Are enrolled full-time during Spring 2023
- Are planning to enroll in Fall 2023
**Preference will be given to students who have NOT received prior funding and for whom this is their last summer of college**
OCS will NOT fund:
- Internships in high risk countries or regions
- Internships at multiple organizations, that take place in multiple countries, or are less than six weeks long
- Thesis or independent research – for independent research funding, consider applying to your department, Harvard centers, or to Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships.
- Apply directly to the organization with which you want to intern or conduct research
- Enroll in direct deposit. See direct deposit instructions
- Apply in CARAT to “OCS Funding for an Internship or Research Assistantship Outside the U.S. SU23 (IND)” by Thursday, March 9, 2023 with the following materials:
- Host organization support letter listing dates of internship/research assistantship and location (if confirmed) OR proof of internship application (such as an email exchange showing that you have applied or have reached out to the organization) (Download sample support letter)
- Completed Internship and Research Assistantship Form, PDF format
- One-page resume, PDF format (we recommend using OCS templates)
- Unofficial Transcript, PDF format (available under Grades tab, “View Unofficial Transcript” in my.harvard)
- Proof of Direct Deposit enrollment, PDF format. Submit a pdf screenshot from the “Student Accounts” section from my.harvard that shows you are enrolled in direct deposit (Download sample screenshot)
- REQUIRED for in-person or hybrid internships only: Complete pre-departure requirements and submit forms to respective offices (some will be submitted online). Upload forms marked with an asterisk (*) with your CARAT application:
- Read Harvard COVID-19 travel policy
- Read Harvard College International travel policy
- Identify your destination’s travel risk rating - students may not travel to countries or regions within countries where the risk rating is “high”
- If you intend to travel to an “elevated” risk country or region, submit an online travel safety questionnaire
- If you intend to travel to an “elevated” risk country or region, attend an elevated-risk orientation at some point this spring.
- *Sign and submit travel waiver and release form* - include the signed waiver with your CARAT application. PLEASE NOTE: Submit either the “College Students – Research of Study” or “College Students – Research or Study in Elevated Risk Destinations.” ALL FIELDS MUST BE FILLED OUT.
- *Watch the GSS Online Pre-departure Orientation* – include a screenshot of your certificate of completion in your CARAT application
- No more than 90 days prior to your departure and no later than Friday, April 28, 2023, submit the Harvard College Health Clearance packet. PLEASE NOTE: Health clearance packet must be delivered to Harvard University Health Services directly. Do not submit to OCS and do not upload with your application