Approximately 80% of Harvard College students eventually go on to earn a graduate or professional degree. To set the stage for careful decision making, it is important to establish a clear idea about your reasons for pursuing advanced study and the realities of your imagined future career path:
- What factors are motivating you to begin graduate study?
- Do you have a passion for a particular field of study?
- Has a professor or mentor encouraged you to pursue a graduate or professional degree?
- Do you feel ready for graduate school, or are you responding to expectations from others?
- Do your skills and interests match the degree program you’re considering?
- Is a degree a prerequisite? Will it help you to advance or to transition into a new field?
- Have you weighed the investment of time and resources, including lost earnings?
- Are you aware of the marketability of your degree and the job prospects?