The Schwartz Laboratory focuses on building models of human liver disease in vitro. We will use stem cell biology and incorporate engineering techniques to better understand human liver disease with the goal to improve clinical therapy. We are looking for motivated researchers with a BS or MS degree in the biomedical sciences to pursue research projects in exciting new areas.
· Cell Culture and differentiation of stem cells into several cell lineages.
· Cell Culture of primary cells and cell lines.
· Rodent hepatocyte isolation and culture.
· Perform DNA and RNA isolation, PCR and gene expression analysis including quantitative PCR.
· Isolate cells and perform FACS analyses and flow sorting.
· Perform protein analysis, including Western blot analysis and ELISA.
· Perform cell imaging techniques including immunofluorescence and immunohistochemistry.
· Genetic engineering of plasmids, bacterial transformation, additional mammalian cell culture procedures and transfection.
· Perform high throughput screen. Validation and biological characterization of lead hits.
· Design and perform protocols for particular research projects. Maintains accurate and detailed records of all laboratory experiments in a neat and proper manner. Maintains laboratory/inventory facilities equipment and supplies. Ensure laboratory is in compliance with safety and environmental regulations. This includes computer skills.
· Design experiments and carry them out in a semi-independent manner.
· Attend meetings and training seminars in other collaborating laboratories with projects of mutual interests.
· Participate in weekly scientific meetings and journal club.
· Participates in training and orientation of new investigators, research fellows, residence and technical staff.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.