About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for a software engineering student to help build the high-level decision-making systems for our automated vehicles.
As a member of the Behaviors team, you’ll help build solutions to improve how our vehicles behave in various driving situations. We’ll rely on you to help develop the next generation algorithms while working closely with a team of passionate engineers.
- Develop high-level decision structures to manage the goals and regulations of autonomous driving
- Enhance motion control and path planning algorithms for next generation autonomous driving
- Benchmark and test performance of algorithms on Torc’s automated vehicles
Candidate is expected to work 40 hours a week for the duration of their Co-Op.
Must be willing to be based locally in Blacksburg, VA or Austin, TX for duration of Co-Op.
Torc Internships and Co-Ops provide a great way for you to hone your skills and see what life at Torc is all about. Our goal is to enable Interns and Co-Ops to become full-time Torc’rs.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Full-time student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Electrical Engineering or related technical field
- Strong C++ programming skills
- ROS (Robot Operating System) experience
- Interest in motion control or automated vehicle development
- Strong problem-solving skills – ability to troubleshoot complex software and systems to identify the root cause of the issue
- Interest in graph theory and search algorithms
- Interest in vehicle kinematics/dynamics
- Exposure to Robotic search and path planning algorithms
- Exposure to Bayesian statistics/estimation methods
- Exposure to control loop design and tuning
- Cross platform development including OS (Windows/Linux) and hardware (x86/ARM)
- Unit testing, simulation testing and continuous integration
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.