Internship posting: https://netacarbon.notion.site/
NetaCarbon aims to democratize access to the carbon market through an end-to-end carbon credit issuance platform. Our first product is a “TurboTax” platform for carbon credits – our platform removes friction for pro-climate businesses in the Global South to access the carbon market by drastically simplifying the carbon credit issuance process.
About the team
The two co-founders, Grace Lam and Mar Velasco, are currently based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Grace is a joint MBA/MPP candidate at Harvard Business School and Harvard Kennedy School with experience in consulting (McKinsey) and investing (KawiSafi Ventures, an African climate VC). Mar is an MBA candidate at MIT Sloan School of Management with experience in finance/consulting (Grupo Bimbo) and startup (Komaza, a forestry-based startup).
We met in Kenya in Summer 2023 and bonded over frustrations with the existing carbon market. We have been working together on NetaCarbon since October last year, and we are actively fundraising for our seed round.
The internship opportunity
We are looking for students to join our team over the summer (June to August) to build out the product and support our pilot launch. This can potentially be extended as a part-time role after the school year begins. This is most likely a remote opportunity, but we will try our best to meet you in person at some point during the internship period.
As an early-stage startup, we are pretty flexible regarding the scope of work and happy to co-create your internship role with you based on your interests and our needs. Most importantly, we want to ensure you also get the most out of this experience.
Below are some examples of the tasks you might work on during your internship:
- Business Development
- Identify and reach out to potential pilot partners for NetaCarbon
- Develop our partnership strategy with core ecosystem stakeholders
- Research on relevant trends in the voluntary carbon market and competitors
- Create presentations and blog posts for social media and publicity events
- Product Development
- Understand the carbon credit creation process of Verra and Gold Standard
- Support the development of our MVP platform using no-code prototyping tools
- Collect feedback from pilot customers and rapidly iterate on the platform design
- Fundraising / Investor relations
- Develop a database of potential seed stage investors (VC, angel, impact fund, etc.)
- Support NetaCarbon’s fundraising process (updating pitch deck, research, financial analysis, market sizing, etc.)
This is an unpaid internship with an early-stage startup. However, you will get exposure to the following:
- Our global network (MIT, Harvard, McKinsey, etc.) of top climate and business professionals
- Hands-on experience working in the carbon market ecosystem – one of the fastest-growing sectors in the climate industry
- Seeing the work you do get implemented right away – not just an “internship project”
- A unique opportunity to work in a global and dynamic team
You are passionate about the biggest challenge we are facing – climate change – and want to be part of the solution, especially for developing and emerging markets. You are interested in exploring entrepreneurship and startup, and you want to use the summer to see whether this is a good fit for you. You are curious about (or have experience with) the carbon market. You are a doer and quick learner – you don’t mind getting your hands dirty and learning by doing.