The Library and Archives at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory seeks a temporary part-time grant and web content writer. The writer will contribute to fundraising and program-building in a unique environment combining science, history, and education. The writer will be a part of a team that includes archivists, historians, science informationists, and the executive director of the Library and Archives. Previous funding in this department has come from NEH, NIH, NSF, and philanthropic organizations in the USA and abroad. The writer may choose to work entirely remotely or on a hybrid basis with some in-person time at the CSHL Library and Archives on Long Island, NY.
· Manage the preparation of grant applications to federal, state, and private funding bodies on topics related to the history of science, women in science, and scientific data.
· Contribute and/or edit content for the Library and Archives webpages.
· Work with colleagues to shape the vision for future archives projects, scholarly initiatives, and outreach activities (through the CSHL Center for Humanities & History of Modern Biology (
· Research and identify promising avenues for funding new and ongoing programs.
· Take the lead in writing letters of inquiry and proposal drafts.
· Incorporate contributions from other team members into final proposal submissions.
· Edit and proofread proposals and attachments prior to submission.
· Masters or doctoral degree in history of science, the life sciences, or another relevant field.
· 1-2 years of related work experience, ideally including familiarity with grant writing, proposal writing, and/or editing.
· Strong writing and research skills, and the ability to quickly build expertise on new subjects.
· Ability to work on deadline.
· Proven expertise in grant writing, preferably in history of science or the life sciences.
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/19112
Position Number: 00588-E
We are located on the North shore of Long Island with easy access to New York City and research centers across New York metropolitan area. The Laboratory offers a warm, collegial, and collaborative work environment as well as a competitive salary and benefits in a beautiful location about one hour from New York City. We are easily accessible by the Long Island Rail Road or by car.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor