Asian University for Women (AUW) was founded by Harvard alum Kamal Ahmad and is dedicated to the education, empowerment, and leadership development of highly talented women from across Asia and the Middle East. Because preferential selection of students is given to underserved populations, such as garment workers, Rohingya refugees, tea plantation workers, and Afghan women not permitted by the Taliban to leave the country, many do not have the needed skills for the rigor of undergraduate work. To compensate, Pre-Undergraduate Programs have been established at AUW, with approximately half of the students in these preparatory programs.
To meet these needs, the Teaching Fellows Program has been established. Selected Fellows will teach English, math, or computer science for one year to students enrolled in the Pre-Undergraduate Programs and will supervise one extra-curricular activity each term. AUW seeks recent graduates of liberal arts institutions with strong academic and extracurricular records who share an unmitigated passion for women’s education to apply.
- Teach one year, beginning mid-July each year
- Teach 9-15 contact hours per week from either:
- English (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking)
- Computer Science
- Oversee one extracurricular activity each term
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Pre-Undergraduate Programs
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Stipend of $1,000, paid monthly
- Round trip airfare to and from Chittagong
- Visa fees reimbursed upon arrival
- Health insurance/services
- A shared furnished faculty apartment
- Free access to dining halls
- Orientation prior to the start of classes
In addition, AUW is exploring the option for 3-week Internship between fall and spring terms with a governmental or prominent nonprofit organization.
AUW has an illustrious team of Patrons and Board members, including
- Chief Patron, Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Board Chair Dipu Mini, Minister of Education of Bangladesh
- Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga, former President of Sri Lanka
- Laura Bush, former First Lady of the United States
- Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
- Chancellor of AUW, Cherie Blair, human rights lawyer, UK
AUW has major Harvard connections. Founder Kamal Ahmad is a Harvard alum. Jack Meyer, former President of Harvard Management Company, has been the Board Chair of the AUW Support Foundation since its inception. Former Harvard Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Henry Rosovsky has been a long-time academic adviser to AUW.