R&D Product Development Scientist Associate
Alamance Foods originated as Melville Dairy in Burlington, North Carolina and underwent a significant transformation in 1959. Today, Alamance Foods stands as a dynamic and innovative food manufacturing company at the forefront of research and development across various categories. The commitment to excellence is powered by cutting-edge food technology, enabling the company to drive innovation and deliver exceptional products to customers.
At the heart of Alamance Foods lies its expertise as a co-manufacturer specializing in aerosol whipped cream and ice pops. In addition to this core focus, the company takes pride in being the owner of several beloved brands, including Classic Cream, Fun Pops, Coffee Toppers, and Whipt.
We are seeking an innovative and analytical R&D Product Development Scientist to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will drive the end-to-end development of innovative products that align with market trends and consumer preferences by working hands-on with conceptualization, formulation, and scale up of products spanning various market categories.
– Lead the development of internal and external innovation products from ideation to commercialization.
– Develop and optimize food product formulations, ensuring they meet quality, regulatory, and cost specifications.
– Generate creative and innovative ideas for new products that align with current market trends and consumer preferences, considering taste, texture, nutritional value, and overall appeal.
– Design and support execution of laboratory experiments and pilot-scale trials to assess the feasibility and scalability of product formulations.
– Analyze and interpret data from trials to make informed decisions on recipe adjustments.
– Conduct sensory evaluations and analyze results to ensure that products meet sensory expectations.
– Maintain accurate and detailed records of product development processes utilized.
– Communicate cross-functionally to ensure feasibility of innovations.
– Collaborate with suppliers to source high-quality ingredients that meet product specifications.
– Maintain an awareness of market and ingredient trends, consumer preferences, competitive products, and potential symbiotic categories.
– Proactively seek opportunities for process improvement and cost optimization for continuous improvement.
– Creative thinking
– Perform under pressure to meet deadlines
– Work effectively both independently and in a team
– Proficiency with the Microsoft Suite
– Attention to detail
– Strong communication skills
– Organization skills
– May require flexibility in working hours, including nights and weekends, to meet project deadlines and support production activities
Education & Experience
– Bachelors or Masters in Food Science or related majors
– 0-2 years experience in the food industry
– Experience with dairy or dairy alternatives is preferred
– Experience with leadership is preferred
– Base salary starting at $60,000/yr
– Medical, dental, and eye insurance*
– 2 weeks of vacation, 2 floating holidays*
– 7 company holidays
– Opportunities for professional development
*Available after 90 days of employment
Alamance Foods is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. The information collected by this application is solely to determine suitability for employment, verify identity, and maintain employment statistics on applicants.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Alamance Foods. Please contact Alamance Foods Human Resources department if you need assistance completing this application or to other participate in the application process.