There are a wealth of opportunities and resources available to you as Harvard Extension School degree students (as well as for alums), and it can be challenging to know where to begin. For those who are undecided on their next steps, this can be even more difficult. Launch or revitalize your career exploration and job search using the steps shared below!
- If you are an admitted degree student or alum and have not yet scheduled an advising appointment to discuss your career with a member of the HES career advising team, do so! You can schedule via Crimson Careers
- Watch the Introduction to Career Services recording, and explore the Mignone Center for Career Success website
- View Conducting a Strategic Job Search and other webinar recordings through the HES Career and Academic Resource Center (CARC)
- Consider how you can position your HES academic journey to support your career
Self Assessment and Career Exploration
- The Navigating a Successful Career Change webinar guides you through the process of considering what you want next in your career, and how to start on that path. The handout can be a useful tool
- In addition, we’ve collected a variety of Self-Assessment Resources useful to HES learners
- Explore potential next steps through a variety of means, from online research to class projects to attending events to volunteering to temporary roles and networking conversations, including through Firsthand and with your classmates and instructors
- Look at where alumni from your program work on the CARC Alumni Career Highlights page, and find people who have taken HES classes on LinkedIn to explore their career paths and skill sets used; view Career Path Spotlight webinars and browse Graduate Spotlights
- Join Harvard clubs, as well as relevant professional associations, view LinkedIn Learning (current students) content related to your interests, and attend events to keep learning
Launching Your Search
- Watch Conducting a Strategic Job Search and other webinar recordings if you haven’t already
- Tailor your LinkedIn and resume to the roles you are applying to
- Exploration and connection building through networking and research will continue to be indispensable throughout your search
- Create saved searches under the Jobs/Internships tab on Crimson Careers, follow target companies on LinkedIn and on their company website career pages, so that you can apply soon after positions are posted. Do not rely on just one source for opportunities!
- Practice interviewing, including with Firsthand advisers (current students and recent alumni can select “Get Advice”), using Interviewing.com, and with HES career advisers (scheduling via Crimson Careers)
- Not sure how to position your HES degree to employers? Watch the webinar
There is so much more, but we hope these initial steps will get you launched. If you are feeling stuck in your search, schedule a career advising appointment via Crimson Careers today!